Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book review for "A Woman’s Power" by Fay Klingler

To be honest, I was a bit surprised that I was asked to review this book. I’m not a woman and I haven’t played one on TV. However, I have been married over twenty years and have four daughters (and no sons) so perhaps those are the reasons I was meant to read this book.

I was fearful that this book could be one of those that bash men and point out how women had been oppressed throughout history. Thank goodness that wasn’t the case. If I had to choose one word to describe this book, it would be “inspirational”.

From the beautiful cover to the stylish interior design, everything about this book gives off an impression of dignity. It’s a fitting compliment to the message this book offers. To borrow a quote from the blurb supplied by the publisher, “Uplifting and empowering, this book offers women everywhere a message of hope.”

The book isn’t a long read, but it is packed with information that can be read several times and the reader will get something more from it each time. In a sense, it is much like the scriptures in the regard that depending on where you are in your life or what you are going through, certain things will resonate with you at different times.

A Woman’s Power is full of stories from the author’s life, as well as other stories that help the reader relate to the topic she is covering. I find this method very effective. Just as we are told to “liken the scriptures unto ourselves”, Klingler takes this to heart by introducing a concept and then using examples to help the reader connect.

As a man, what did I take away from this book? To be honest, a great number of the subjects discussed aren’t unique to women. I was able to apply many of the concepts to my own life. But more importantly, it helped give me insight to my wife and my daughters. Men and women are different. We have different roles. Society right now is screaming out for equality—but equality doesn’t mean people are exactly the same. Try as I might, I will never be able to get pregnant. I can love and comfort my daughters, but there is something special about the bond between a mother and child that I can’t offer. And I’m all right with that.

At the very least, reading this book has helped me appreciate the women in my life and what I can do to help them reach their full potential.

So, would I recommend other men reading this book? Yes, yes I would. Not only will it help you be a better husband / father / friend, but it could save you from spending nights sleeping on the couch.

Fay Klingler

For more on the author, click here.

You can purchase this book at Deseret Book or Amazon as well as other places. (Click on the store names to be taken to the order page.)

To view the book trailer, click here.

**Disclaimer** I received an advanced copy of this book to review, but it in no way influenced my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment