Saturday, April 7, 2012

Review of "The Hidden Sun" from Bookrated.com

I’m pleased to share the following review of The Hidden Sun that was recently posted on Bookrated.com.

Sometimes it’s good to try different things. That totally sounds like something my mom would say to me. But it really applies here. I am not a big fan of medieval historical fiction. It isn’t the type of genre that I actively search out. When I started reading The Hidden Sun, I didn’t initially think I could get into it. However, once I started, I was hooked. Although this is a 300+ page book, I finished this book in a day. I wanted to know what was going to happen. Mr. Morgan throws in unexpected twists that made me more excited with each page. The author is a strong writer that doesn’t waste the reader’s time with unnecessary descriptions or events. Everything serves a purpose. I can honestly say this is one of the few books that I didn’t think, “this line could have been omitted,” or “why was this important?” Perhaps it is because Mr. Morgan has an English degree and he truly understands the power of words, or maybe he has an excellent editor (its probably a combination of the two).

This was a fascinating read. I am looking forward to the sequel this May. If you are someone who doesn’t have a thing for historical fiction, give this one a shot. Chances are this might change your perspective. And, if you are already a historical fiction junkie, this will be like manna from Heaven.

Bookrated’s take:

Steam factor: Think a satisfying lemonade. No innuendo or descriptive play-by-play.

Language: Mama would be proud. Leave the soap box alone cause this is a vulgarity free zone.

Suggestive material: None. I would love to say something witty here, but unless you are planning on overthrowing a kingdom, there isn’t much.

Overall: Solidly written and entertaining. This book could be read, and enjoyed, by young adults as well as grandmas. It is detailed and well thought out.


The publisher’s (Walnut Springs Press) take:

Eliana and Rinan are in love. However, she is destined to become queen of Bariwon, obligated to marry the victor of a competition called the Shoginoc, while Rinan, her royal guardian, is forbidden to marry. Normally they could renounce their titles to be together, but these are not normal times. Abrecan, the malevolent governor of Erd, is determined to win the Shoginoc, thereby placing his easily manipulated son Daimh on Bariwon’s throne. Can Eliana and Rinan find a way to be together without jeopardizing the peace they are so desperately trying to protect?

No comments:

Post a Comment