Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Only time will tell

Have you heard the song, “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey? What I’ve found interesting is that song was one of many hits from Journey in the 80’s, yet it has had some serious staying power. It leads me to wonder, what other songs from groups from the 80’s have that *one* song that really defines them as a group?

But it doesn’t end there. The same can be said for actors, movie directors and yes, even authors.

As of this moment, I’ve written five full length novels. (Granted only two have been published and the other three are in various stages of being edited.) I’ve also written four short stories that have been / will be published by the end of 2013.

I have ideas for several more books and short stories. I wonder if there will be one certain book or story of mine that will stand the test of time.

I’ve been asked which of my works is my favorite. I can’t honestly answer that. I will say that I think there are certain stories I’ve written that will have a broader appeal. My short story, The Doughnut, is an award winning story and will be included in a pretty well distributed anthology called Parables for Today. Yet, I think my strongest short story is the one I wrote based on the Christmas song, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. It’s going to be included in an anthology called Sing We Now of Christmas released this holiday season.

My books are a bit trickier to pick. I won’t go into too many details, but I think my strongest book will be the least commercially successful book. It’s called Wall of Faith. After shopping it around some, I’ve been told the book won’t be picked up by an LDS publisher because it’s too controversial. At the same time, a non-LDS publisher won’t touch it because it’s not controversial enough.

One thing is for sure, I’ll continue to write. While it would be nice to become an international best seller, I’ll continue to write stories that I feel need to be told—popular or not.

1 comment:

  1. I think trying to pick a favorite book you write is like trying to chose your favorite child; some are easier to get along with, but they are all dear to your heart.
    I'm not sure I could pick a favorite of mine. They all filled a need I had at the time to express something powerful within my soul.
    Thanks for the post - it made me think.

    ReplyDelete