Thursday, May 5, 2011

Review of "Dearly Departed" by Tristi Pinkston

Dearly Departed is the second book in the Secret Sisters Mystery books. It's not your typical murder mystery--and that's what makes it so special.

When someone sits down to write a mystery novel, I doubt the first thing that comes to their mind is "I know! Let me write it where the hero is an old, er, "mature" woman. And, I'll have it take place in a rest home!"

However, Tristi makes it work.

I was going to write a synopsis, but Tristi did such a good job, I'm just going to post hers:

"Ida Mae Babbit has done her community service and is a reformed woman--no more law-breaking for her. But when Arlett's granddaughter Eden discovers a mystery in a fancy nursing home, Ida Mae--with the perfect excuse of a broken wrist and a broken ankle--checks herself into the place. After all, it is for the greater good. Soon she's buzzing around in her motorized wheelchair, questioning the residents and swiping files from the office. She's bound and determined to get to the bottom of this case. But can she solve the mystery before she becomes the next victim?"

The story is very character driven and extremely clever. The writing flows well and keeps the story moving along. I actually found when I read the book that I laughed more than biting my nails. Sure, there are times in the book when things get a bit hairy for the heroes, but overall, it's a fun read.

Now here is the true sign this is a must read: I gave it to my wife after I finished it. From the moment she opened it, the vast majority of her free time was in her reading chair, completely engrossed in the book. It's during these times I say to the kids, "Mommy's in her happy place, come bother Daddy with anything you need."

It can be purchased here.

**Special note: This was an honest review and was in no way influenced by the fact that Tristi edited the second edition of my book The Hidden Sun, due out July or August of 2011. (See how I included a shameless plug for myself in a disclaimer? Now that's talent!)

1 comment: