Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Calling good evil and evil good

Warning! Warning! Highly opinionated blog posted ahead!

First of all, if at any time during this blog you feel the need to write a scathing comment below of how wrong I am, please just walk away. The purpose of this blog is not to incite harsh feelings in anyone. If you start to feel upset at me for what I've written, then stop and move on. This blog isn't intended for you.

Before I dove head first into the writing world, I had never had a Facebook account. Nor did I have a blog. But both of these have been invaluable tools to reach out to many people as well as connect with people of similar interests.
 
Of course, when you become socially active, you run into people who don't share your beliefs--which can be enlightening or frustrating or somewhere in the middle.

Last night, I came across this ad on Facebook:
And no, I didn't alter it at all.

The first thing that came to my mind was the scripture from Isaiah 5:20 that says: "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!"

Can you imagine that same message being placed on a pack of cigarettes? "This product is dangerously addictive. Smoke now!"

I'm not going to put out a blanket statement that all video games are bad. There are those that believe that because some video games may be bad, they all should be avoided. But couldn't that same logic be used on magazines, TV shows, Movies, Books, Internet sites, blogs. . .

That is why Heavenly Father gave us the ability to choose and have the ability to discern good from evil. Just like I stated before, if you find yourself reading this blog and are offended, well, stop reading it. You have a choice.

For me, nothing symbolizes this concept of calling good evil and evil good like the recent Broadway play, "The Book of Mormon." There have been a lot of articles written, both pro and con about the play. It recently won numerous Tony Awards. (Trademarked name I'm sure)

I haven't seen the play, nor do I intend to. I have read the synopsis and was saddened by what I read. It's almost hard to believe that such a play could ever be produced, let alone get awards, for its blatant mockery of an organized church.

One article I read compared it to the "Amos 'n' Andy" days of America--something that wouldn't be tolerated now. The writer of that article went on to suggest that in a few decades, people may look back at this play and shake their heads that it was produced.

In an attempt to justify the play, one of the people commented on the article by saying, "The play won numerous awards. How many awards has the actual Book of Mormon won?" Awards? Is that how we base if something is good or not? How about asking the millions of people who have read the Book of Mormon and have had their lives changed forever.

However, one thing I've learned over the years, is that there are people who won't understand how offensive something like this play is to those who hold the doctrine sacred.

I imagine it would be like trying to describe the different between red and pink to someone who has been blind from birth. Without a common point of reference, all the detailed explanations in the world won't help them understand the difference.    

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. We discussed this in FHE last night with regard to choosing music. There is so much evil out there just waiting to pounce on us but we have the tools to fight it and to win. Those who produced the Book of Mormon play have their reward. They have their awards at the expense of mocking God. Is that what we want? No. I have not seen it nor do I intend to. I don't think belittling a religion is entertainment at all.

    ReplyDelete