Thursday, June 16, 2011

These are the good old days

My 11 year old daughter mentioned at dinner last night, "I remember the good old days when. . ." She then went on to talk about a particular situation when she playing with her cousins. What made this really cute was that we were, at that moment, having dinner with her cousins. After listening to her for a moment, I said, "Do you realize that in a few years these will be the good old days?" She looked at me as if I had just uttered the most profound thing she'd ever heard.

It reminded me of a day when I was a senior at BYU. I was walking from one class to another with some classmates. It was cold. It was snowy. We had just left a class where we had been given a huge assignment. No doubt, the class we were headed to would add even more to our work load. It seemed like we had been going to school forever, and even though we were in our last year, the end seemed far away. I remember mentioning to my classmates, "You do realize that right here, right now, these are the good old college days." Once again, the response was one of "Are you crazy?"


One of the things we like to do on Monday nights for family home evening is watch videos of when the children were younger. At the time, I was so worn out from our first three kids being so close in age (they were each born about 18 months apart). When I watch the videos and see how cute and fun they were, I miss it. I'm sure at the time, I would never thought I'd say that.

And now, as I get ready to move forward with the next phase of my life, (my oldest starts High School, my first book is being re-released in two months, the second one is written and edited, and my third one about 4/5th written) I can't help but wonder in a few years if I'll look back on this time as "the good old days".

1 comment:

  1. I remember the good old days at KOHS 91.7 FM... Fixing cart machines, editing music and promos on reel-to-reel, auto-reverse cassette deck with ocean sounds playing all night...
    Yeah, that's the ticket. :D

    ReplyDelete